PDA

View Full Version : How to make some quality hash oil

Abel1337
10-07-2008, 10:56 AM
http://www.addiction2.com/assets/Pictures/hashoil1.gif
http://images.mydetaileddetail.com/img/152/n08v1006ujzv/proud.gif
Making Hash Oil
There are many recipies, myths and opinions regarding hash oil. Many recipies call for heating the mixture and for using various solvents. Since most of these solvents contain a high concentration of alcohol I do not recommend heating them in any way. Also I don't reccomend using Isopropyl alcohol as the stuff most people will buy at the store will not be pure 100% alcohol. The best thing if you can find it is to use ethyl alcohol, most people can not obtain ethyl alcohol however so in this case use Everclear or if you can't get that Isopropyl alcohol will do. Just make sure it is 100% pure isopropyl alcohol.

Step 1 - break up your leaves or buds into as fine a powder as you can, a coffee grinder works great for this.

Step 2 - mix alcohol and powder well, use a blender or paint mixer depending on the amount being processed.

Step 3 - allow mixture to soak for at least 24 hours, mixing occasionally. The longer you soak the material the more THC you should extract (to a point of course), anything past a few days is probably overkill but I've known people who leave it indefinitely and just siphon off the everclear for drinking.

Step 4 -
Filter off the plant material using a fine mesh screen, a metal coffee filter works well for this. If you still have more plant material in your extract than you would like you can additionally filter it through a paper coffee filter. The more filtering you do the more pure the extract will be (little or no plant material), however multiple filterings can be a lengthly process when you are processing large amounts of buds or trimmings.

Step 5 -
Evaporate off the liquid part of your solvent. This is where some people use heat to speed up the process. Beware that these solvents are HIGHLY COMBUSTABLE and great care should be taken if you decide to heat them. Never heat them on a gas stove. Our preferred method here is to pour the liquid into a glass baking pan or dish. Then place it in a warm window or near a radiator to evaporate the liquid off. Make sure there is plenty of ventilation. A fan blowing over the top of the liquid will help it evaporate more quickly. As the substance nears completion you will begin to get a tar like substance forming. While it is still somewhat liquid we suggest you start collecting it in one spot on the dish, eventually you will have evaporated off most or all of the alcohol and will be left with the infamous "hash oil". You will likely need to use a razor blade to scrap up the tar.

-Hope you guys enjoyed! Thanks is greatly appreciated!

Sensimilla
10-08-2008, 01:22 AM
I have some tincture already made up that I will try this with. All it looks like I have to do, regarding your directions, is to let the alcohol evaporate off. Thanks for the recipe. :gethigh:

Blue Sky
10-08-2008, 01:29 AM
Why would someone make hash oil instead of honey oil? I'm seriously wondering this.

SeaWeeded
10-08-2008, 06:59 AM
honey oil is a quick wash meaning the solvent is only in contact with the plant matter for a short amount of time. the longer you let them sit together, the more impurities there are gonna be and will deminish the potency.

Blue Sky
10-08-2008, 07:03 AM
honey oil is a quick wash meaning the solvent is only in contact with the plant matter for a short amount of time. the longer you let them sit together, the more impurities there are gonna be and will deminish the potency.

I have watched a friend of mine make honey oil and it seems to be pretty through. I don't know where THC is located besides in the trichomes, I am sure that there is some in all parts of the plant matter, and some in tubes like xylem and pholem or something.

In his method you can actually see the THC being sucked out of the plant. The little trichomes shrivel up as the fluid inside them is being sucked out. If you were devious you could sell the weed after you sucked all of the THC out of it to someone because even though the trichomes have been sucked dry, they still appear to be present, making the bud still look dank.

CallMeINA
10-08-2008, 12:01 PM
wall of text warning:

Hmm dude, I hate to be an ass but your way is totally wrong, and im the fuckin king of oil ;)

what youre doing here is making a weed/alcohol drink AND half assed honey/hash/cherry whatever the fuck you call it now adays. ill explain why and how and where youre wrong:

I cant quite remember how to make the weed/alcohol drink. youre supposed to mix weed/shake in 80 proof alcohol and do a few other simple things, and you an drink it and it fucks you up. its been a long time and about 300 lbs of weed since I read that. sorry.

and the oil way with iso, which I dont recommend, is this:

1. put the iso in the freezer, it rinses the weed wwwaaaayyy better when its cold. and it will also make any glass piece look like brand new again, best results if you heat the pipe/resin before you rinse it with iso.

2. put chopped weed in a jar. 1 cup of alcohol per half oz, put in 1/8 cup at a time (4 small rinses)

3. DONT let it set for very long, all that does is wash the chlorophyl out of the plant (unless you removed it somehow, its rumoured to be done with cold water...)

4. you CAN use iso alcohol, just make sure its 99%, you cant get 100% iso alcohol. everclear does work, but the alcohols just dont cook off nicely like a gas (butane)

5. rinse the half oz with 1/8 cup of water, approx 100ml, for about 10 seconds, then pour it into a fullen type thing with a coffee filter attached. a pop bottle with the bottom cut off, unbleached coffee filters are better, but bleached work too. and twisties. hot to make it with those 3 items is self explanitory.

6. pour the iso outta the weed jar carefully into the filter funnel you just made, let it filter into a stainless steel ONLY dish, or a pyrex dish. theres 2 ways of cooking it off: hot plate for a day or two, or drip about 20 ml, then light it on fire! careful as this is very very dangerous.

the result is an iso oil that is easy to take massive tokes of, and dosnt burn the lungs, and its not very potent.

the butane honey oil (BHO) is 10x more potent, and a litle harder/more expensive to make, but 100% worth it. you get just as much both ways, but the BHO is 10x more potent ;)

the reason this guys beaker of oil is sooo black is because he let it sit in the har for so long, and it leaned all the chlorophyl outa the plant, not good. thats the reason for ANY oil being a little black, because of the junk in the plant. BHO looks like honey, little dark, but still pretty pure.

and if you wanna take it to the extreme, guaranteed the best honey oil you can possibly make and I will bet my life on it. you make the BHO, and somewhere along the line you rinse it through active charcoal, now im not sure how to do that and would do anything to find out. the end result is about half of what you would normally get, and it looks literally like butter, and it ridiclously potent, probably 3x stronger than normal BHO, and normal BHO is like 10x stronger than iso oil literally.

sensimillia: you dont just let the alcohol evaporate off its not that easy. you need to help it do that otherwise it will take literally a month at normal conditions. you need to heat it at the bottom on a tove or hotplate, this is very very dangerous, especially indoors as the cooked off fumes can and will explode, ive kinda done it 3 times now, not cool.

or you can let a little bit drop through a filter into a dish or plate or pyrex dish, and light it on fire, do this outdoors again because the fumes alone will get you high, very fucked up and its dangerous.

BHO cooks off at near -80C, so if you dip it into a dish of hot water, it evaporates like 97% in about 5 mins, the rest can be done over a red hot stove and a lighter, just heat the bottom of the dish and make it bubble, then light thosel ittle butane bubbles (its totally safe to do)

seaweeded: you are right in that post. youre an intelligent duck allright!

blue sky: no you cant, it doesnt look dank at all. its ridiculously dry, like a powder, and smells like complete shit. maybe if it was in joint form, but they would smoke and joint and all they would have is a haedache, sore lungs, and wanna kick your ass! lol I have 121 grams of rinsed weed at my buddies house, its powdery in a bag and layered because i used a diff weed everytime, you can fit approx 150 grams of rinsed weed into a ziploc bag ;)

if anyone has anything wrong with my techniques please post, same with if I forgot something.

if anyone is interested, in learning how to make BHO. just ask and ill tell ya the dos and donts and cool little techniques that ive learned over the years to improve the amount and quality of oil.

thanks

Abel1337
10-08-2008, 08:51 PM
I have used this method and made some oil that was pretty chronic from just steams and leaf clippings. I dont know why you say I am wrong, because I am not. I didnt say this was the best method and this is the only way to go, I just posted a method I have used in the past, theres no need to be a demeaning asshole!http://images.mydetaileddetail.com/img/152/r08u1006giay/spork.gif

CharlieTheUnicorn
10-08-2008, 08:57 PM
everyone chill i forsee a cyber fight...
and i hope to one day try both

Abel1337
10-08-2008, 09:13 PM
Try both methods? No! Only try mine! It is the only one that exists Im certain of this! All other methods are bad. Trust me I KNOWWW!!! I hope you guys reading this post understand my sarcasms.

CallMeINA
10-09-2008, 10:28 AM
Abel, I said I didnt mean to be an ass man. Ive been making oil every week for the past 3 years now, with iso, butane, hash, weed, shake, stems, every combo you can think of. and trust me when I say that weed and butane (and active charcoal) is THE FUCKING ULTIMATE. anyone who has tried both, please post your opinions. Im pretty sure I win this battle.

you claim this is "quality oil".... if only you knew the difference, its a shame you dont. I can tell by your oil and the beaker, it looks like you poured it into something? that means its super super thin, like water. which means its not cooked off enough, or you did something wrong along the way, thats not including the fact you let it wash ALL the chlorophyl outta the plant. BHO is like glass, its literally impossible to do anything with unless its heated up, and its still super thick, sticky, stringy, potent, its awesome, I love it.

BHO is quality oil
BHO and active charcoal is the ultimate
iso oil is a fucking joke, not potent, not tasty, not worth it.

you claim to have made iso oil with stems and shake and think its potent? jesus christ dude, if you think thats potent BHO would literally send you to the hospital.

I can tell by your beaker that that oil is black, black is NOT GOOD when making oil. and you have a lot of oil? wanna know why? BECAUSE ITS 50% CHLOROPHYL. unless you rinsed a pound of weed and a gallon of iso to get that oil. out of a half oz of weed, I get about 2 grams of some super potent oil, and it still gets better once an active charcoal rinse gets involved, but then I would only get 1 gram of literally one hitter quitter oil, especially on the blades, damn!

serioiusly though, buy a honey bee extractor, some cans of butane (1 large can per 3 grams of dank weed, 4.5gs if its junk. 8gs if its shake) and a stainless steel bowl, once you try BHO you will NEVER consider another oil ever again. trust me. if you do, youre obviously not making it right. I cant stress enough how much BHO is better than garbage iso oil, and ive tried every technique possible. there is a way to make oil with hydrocholoric acids and stuff, that way is complicated/dangerous/expensive as fuck and isint worth it compared to BHO. BHO is cheap, takes 10 mins, and is very impressive.

I have even saved 15 grams of pure crystal outta the budbuster (took 6 weeks and nearly a half lb of weed) and rinsed that in the honey bee extractor with butane. and there was honestly no difference between rinsing weed except the taste was a tiny bit stronger.

so before you get offended or completely ruin your lungs/brain smoking that garbage oil you got there, give BHO a try. and dont buy it from a guy who claims he makes it, its probably garbage as theres not much money to be made in the oil business (its worth like 50-80$ a gram). make it yourself or dont bother.

if you dont believe me, or think im wrong in any way, ask moth or someone who really knows their shit. I know he doesnt like me, but if he knows as much as I think he does, he will back me up on this one.

and abel, how do you figure this as "hash" oil... I think you meant to call it honey oil.

I dont know if this is true or not, but I heard cherry oil is cooked off in the sun, takes a few days, but gets a red color to it because of the sun... hence the cherry oil part? havnt tested that one yet, next summer i definately will with iso and butane.

Haze
02-21-2009, 03:27 AM
Abel, I said I didnt mean to be an ass man. Ive been making oil every week for the past 3 years now, with iso, butane, hash, weed, shake, stems, every combo you can think of. and trust me when I say that weed and butane (and active charcoal) is THE FUCKING ULTIMATE. anyone who has tried both, please post your opinions. Im pretty sure I win this battle.

you claim this is "quality oil".... if only you knew the difference, its a shame you dont. I can tell by your oil and the beaker, it looks like you poured it into something? that means its super super thin, like water. which means its not cooked off enough, or you did something wrong along the way, thats not including the fact you let it wash ALL the chlorophyl outta the plant. BHO is like glass, its literally impossible to do anything with unless its heated up, and its still super thick, sticky, stringy, potent, its awesome, I love it.

BHO is quality oil

you claim to have made iso oil with stems and shake and think its potent? jesus christ dude, if you think thats potent BHO would literally send you to the hospital.

I can tell by your beaker that that oil is black, black is NOT GOOD when making oil. and you have a lot of oil? wanna know why? BECAUSE ITS 50% CHLOROPHYL. unless you rinsed a pound of weed and a gallon of iso to get that oil. out of a half oz of weed, I get about 2 grams of some super potent oil, and it still gets better once an active charcoal rinse gets involved, but then I would only get 1 gram of literally one hitter quitter oil, especially on the blades, damn!

serioiusly though, buy a honey bee extractor, some cans of butane (1 large can per 3 grams of dank weed, 4.5gs if its junk. 8gs if its shake) and a stainless steel bowl, once you try BHO you will NEVER consider another oil ever again. trust me. if you do, youre obviously not making it right. I cant stress enough how much BHO is better than garbage iso oil, and ive tried every technique possible. there is a way to make oil with hydrocholoric acids and stuff, that way is complicated/dangerous/expensive as fuck and isint worth it compared to BHO. BHO is cheap, takes 10 mins, and is very impressive.

I have even saved 15 grams of pure crystal outta the budbuster (took 6 weeks and nearly a half lb of weed) and rinsed that in the honey bee extractor with butane. and there was honestly no difference between rinsing weed except the taste was a tiny bit stronger.

so before you get offended or completely ruin your lungs/brain smoking that garbage oil you got there, give BHO a try. and dont buy it from a guy who claims he makes it, its probably garbage as theres not much money to be made in the oil business (its worth like 50-80$ a gram). make it yourself or dont bother.

if you dont believe me, or think im wrong in any way, ask moth or someone who really knows their shit. I know he doesnt like me, but if he knows as much as I think he does, he will back me up on this one.

and abel, how do you figure this as "hash" oil... I think you meant to call it honey oil.

I dont know if this is true or not, but I heard cherry oil is cooked off in the sun, takes a few days, but gets a red color to it because of the sun... hence the cherry oil part? havnt tested that one yet, next summer i definately will with iso and butane.

this kid is right, the OPs oil looks gross. where did this guy go? anyone know how I can contact him? he knows his shit about oil, I would love to talk to him and learn a few things.

thanks.

ps: I found this thread via google search "honey oil active charcoal" :p

dave157
02-21-2009, 12:56 PM

BHO is quality oil

first of all, thanks for the very detailed posts and it seems like you know your stuff regarding BHO oil which i have personally never tried yet. Although i have made the iso oil, using about 8 g's shake for about 1.3 g's of very dark amber. This hash was smooth, and not gross at all, and got you very high.

the method i used was, taking some 99% iso and just washing it in shake for 30 seconds max. not shaking to hard but stirring. then after that i would just strain it through a coffee filter and put the plate with the iso on it over a double boiler and within a hour it's ready to go. i have used this method many times before and i found the better you get at making the iso, the better product you get.

As for the BHO oil i really want to make some to test the strength of it agianst some of the iso hash i made. i believe the BHO would be stonger but i would have to extract it right. However i don't have any of the materials and thats probably whats keeping me for making some.

Next time i make some iso hash i'll post some pictures or something, to give you guys a better idea of how it is.

CannabisClub
02-21-2009, 03:57 PM
not true hash but a good derivative

YDDAD_GIB
02-21-2009, 05:05 PM
i have made bho oil and it is very good defenitly allot better than iso oil

Haze
02-22-2009, 03:37 AM
first of all, thanks for the very detailed posts and it seems like you know your stuff regarding BHO oil which i have personally never tried yet. Although i have made the iso oil, using about 8 g's shake for about 1.3 g's of very dark amber. This hash was smooth, and not gross at all, and got you very high.

the method i used was, taking some 99% iso and just washing it in shake for 30 seconds max. not shaking to hard but stirring. then after that i would just strain it through a coffee filter and put the plate with the iso on it over a double boiler and within a hour it's ready to go. i have used this method many times before and i found the better you get at making the iso, the better product you get.

As for the BHO oil i really want to make some to test the strength of it agianst some of the iso hash i made. i believe the BHO would be stonger but i would have to extract it right. However i don't have any of the materials and thats probably whats keeping me for making some.

Next time i make some iso hash i'll post some pictures or something, to give you guys a better idea of how it is.

ISO oil is very horrible tasting compared to BHO and not as potent as BHO.. trust me. Ive been making oil for quite a long time and BHO is the ultimate. even better if you can filter it with activated charcoal too. even methyl hydrate is better than 99% ISO, but it still has that gross alcohol taste.. nothing better than a nice clean white gas :p

all you need to make BHO is a honey bee extractor, and 1 can of large butane (about 150 grams) per every 3-4 grams of weed. you get the same amount as ISO oil like you mentioned.. about 1.5 grams per 8-10 grams of weed.

ps: why do you call it hash? I consider hash to be pressed and heated crystals/kief.